|LC control no.||n 88234948
|Geographic heading||Vaŭkavysk (Belarus)
|Geographic subdivision usage||Belarus--Vaŭkavysk
Volkovysk (Byelorussian S.S.R.)
|Special note||Non-Latin script references not evaluated.
|Found in||Ṿolḳovisḳ, 1988.
Shtetl seeker WWW, 04-30-97 (Volkovisk; variants: Vawkavysk, Volkovysk, Wołkowysk)
Webster's geog. dictionary, 1984: p. 1308 (Volkovysk, a city in Grodno oblast, formerly in Poland)
Nat. Geog. Soc. Atlas, 6th ed.: map 73 (Volkovysk)
SSSR, admin.-territ. delenie, 1983: p. 359 (Volkovysk, a city in Grodzenskai︠a︡ oblastʹ, first mentioned in chronicle sources of 1259; achieved city status in 1796; since 1940 it has been part of the Belorussian SSR)
BGN per phone, 11/06/90 (Volkovysk; ppl.; 53°10ʹN 24°28ʹE; variant: Wołkowysk)
Bel. sav. entsykl.: v. 2, p. 623 (Vaŭkavysk (in historical sources known as Volkovyesk); a city in Hrodzenska voblastsʹ first mentioned in chronicles of 1252. In the 13th cent. it was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The town was briefly conquered by Teutonic knights in 1410. By 1500 it was part of Poland. During the Polish War of 1654-1667 Vaŭkavysk was taken by the Russian Army. After the third partition of Poland in 1795 the town was ceded to Russia where it eventually became part of the Grodzenskai︠a︡ gubernii︠a︡ from 1802. By terms of the peace treaty of 1921 Vaŭkavysk was granted to Poland where it became part of the Białostockie województwo. In Sept. 1939 the city was annexed by the Soviet Union)
Encyc. Powszechna: v. 15, p. 483 (Wołkowysk, a town in Gubernja Grodzieńska)
LC manual auth cd. (hdg.: Volkovysk (Polish Wołkowysk); variant: Volkovisk; near Grodno, the town was largely destroyed in WWII)
|Geographic area code||e-bw---