The Library of Congress > LCCN Permalink

View this record in:  MARCXML | LC Authorities & Vocabularies | VIAF (Virtual International Authority File)External Link

Maxwell, Thomas, 1792-1864

LC control no.nr 00029061
Descriptive conventionsrda
Personal name headingMaxwell, Thomas, 1792-1864
    Browse this term in  LC Authorities  or the  LC Catalog
Variant(s)Maxwell, Thomas, 1792-1867
Associated countryUnited States
LocatedGeneva (N.Y.)
Birth date1792-02-16
Death date1864-11-04
Place of birthTioga Point (Pa.)
Place of deathElmira (N.Y.)
AffiliationUnited States. Congress. House New York and Erie Railroad Company New York (State). Supreme Court
Profession or occupationQuartermasters Legislators County clerks Editors Postmasters
Found inHistory of Elmira, 1863: p. 9 (Thomas Maxwell)
RLIN, 9/22/00 (hdg.: Maxwell, Thomas)
NIC files, 9/13/00 (hdg.: Maxwell, Thomas, 1792-1867)
Biographical Directory of the United State Congress website, August 1, 2019 (Maxwell, Thomas, a Representative from New York; born at Tioga Point (now Athens), Bradford County, Pa., February 16, 1792; moved to Elmira (then Newtown Point), N.Y., in 1796; appointed quartermaster of a regiment of Cavalry attached to the brigade of Gen. Vincent Matthews during the War of 1812; clerk of Tioga County, N.Y., 1819-1829; elected as a Jacksonian to the Twenty-first Congress (March 4, 1829-March 3, 1831); chairman, Committee on Accounts (Twenty-first Congress); engaged in the prosecution of pension claims; studied law and was admitted to practice in the court of common pleas of old Tioga County, N.Y., in 1832; editor of the Elmira Gazette 1834-1836; postmaster of Elmira 1834-1839; deputy clerk of Chemung County in 1836; treasurer of Chemung County 1836-1843; a vice president of the New York & Erie Railroad Co. in 1841; commissioner of loans of United States deposit and of State funds in 1843; moved to Geneva, N.Y., about 1845, upon his appointment as deputy clerk of the State supreme court; died in Elmira, Chemung County, N.Y., November 4, 1864; interment in Woodlawn Cemetery)