The Library of Congress > LCCN Permalink

View this record in:  MARCXML | LC Authorities & Vocabularies | VIAF (Virtual International Authority File)External Link

Überwasserkirche (Münster in Westfalen, Germany)

LC control 97026303
Descriptive conventionsrda
Corporate name headingÜberwasserkirche (Münster in Westfalen, Germany)
    Browse this term in  LC Authorities  or the  LC Catalog
Variant(s)Katholische Pfarrkirche Liebfrauen-Überwasser (Münster in Westfalen, Germany)
Kirche Liebfrauen-Überwasser (Münster in Westfalen, Germany)
Liebfrauen-Überwasser Kirche (Münster in Westfalen, Germany)
Liebfrauenkirche (Münster in Westfalen, Germany)
Liebfrauenkirche Münster (Münster in Westfalen, Germany)
Pfarrkirche Liebfrauen-Überwasser (Münster in Westfalen, Germany)
Unser Lieben Frauen zu Überwasser (Church : Münster in Westfalen, Germany)
Associated countryGermany
LocatedMünster in Westfalen (Germany)
Found inDie Skulpturen der Überwasserkirche zu Münster in Westfalen, 1936: p. 6 (Unser Lieben Frauen zu Überwasser; Liebfrauenkirche zu Münster)
Austermann, M. Die Stadt Münster, 2013: title page (Pfarrkirche Liebfrauen-Überwasser) Vorwort (Kirche Liebfrauen-Überwasser)
Katholische Pfarrgemeinde Liebfrauen-Überwasser [Münster in Westfalen, Germany] website, via WWW, Sept. 25, 2013: home page (the 2 main churches of the parish are the Pfarrkirche St. Michael in the Münster neighborhood of Gievenbeck, and the affiliated patronal church of the parish "Liebfrauen-Überwasser") "Kirchen" (Liebfrauen-Überwasser Kirche; near the cathedral of St. Paul, it is the oldest church in Münster, with a building there from the second half of the 9th cent.; the present establishment dates to the time of bishop Hermann I. (1032-1042) when a women's foundation was established on the left bank of the river Aa directly under the cathedral hill (seen from the cathedral as "Über dem Wasser"); consecrated Dec. 29, 1040 "ad Beatam Mariam Virginem sub Titulo Nativitatis"; in 1532 the city government attempted to introduce Lutheran teaching into the parish as had happened in other parts of the city, but failed as the city came under the influence of Anabaptists from the Netherlands and later fell in 1535 after a siege; the reconstituted women's foundation was finally dissolved in 1773; the present gothic hall church building was built in 1340, the tower from 1363 until well into the 15th cent., suffering damage from the Anabaptists, and a new tower cupola destroyed by a hurricane in 1704)
German Wikipedia, Sept. 25, 2013: "Überwasserkirche" (Überwasserkirche; also Liebenfrauenkirche or Liebfrauen-Überwasser)
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek online, via WWW, Sept. 25, 2013 (access point: Liebfrauenkirche Münster (Westf) ; other access point: Überwasserkirche Münster (Westf); Münster (Westf) / Katholische Pfarrkirche Liebfrauen-Überwasser)